Friday, February 16, 2007

BTD Interview With Elizabeth Moore (cont.)

BTD: You became interested in interior design working with Prince. How did you get that job?

EM: I had just graduated from Minneapolis College of Art and Design and needed some work. A friend of mine asked if I would help him with the catering for the rehearsals in Saint Paul. I said sure. When I first saw Prince , I thought who is this guy with the heels and the ruffles, ( I had been living in London for the past 4 years and was out of touch with all the Rock and Roll surge that was taking place in America). Nonetheless, the production manager saw me carrying a Pumpkin into Prince's dressing room and asked what I was doing. I told him that Prince had no concept of what was happening outside of this hall and that it was Halloween.

That evening I was asked if I could sew, when I said yes I was asked to become his wardrobe gal. I was in charge of his semi-truck filled with clothing. From here I was asked to take care of his on-stage needs, then I was asked to purchase some of his personal items and then asked to decorate the after-hours parties after the shows in the VIP lounges. Next thing, these decoration gigs began to grow bigger and bigger and more elaborate and more outrageously expensive.

BTD: What was your childhood bedroom like?

EM: Wow, these are some questions. I moved 17 times before I was 20. So lets see... there are a few that stand out.

One of the things I looked forward to was decorating my new room and especially the trip to the wall paper store with my Mother. I remember one time I wanted these big 3 foot red lips holding a rose, I think I was around 13 years old. They did not have this pattern in stock so I went with some Black and with a graphic print of trees. I remember the white sheers blowing in the evening breeze. We lived right next to a cornfield and at night I could hear the distant mooing of cows. I had a poster of a fluorescent glow-in-the-dark image of an upside down chicken that read "Woman are Not Chicks".

Being the oldest of 4, I always had my own bathroom. The furniture was dark walnut. I had a collection of wood chip stuffed animals my Father brought back from all of his travels.

BTD: We’ve learned a lot about you from your MySpace page. Tell us about your life as a cheerleader and were you also the Homecoming Queen?

EM: I loved being a cheerleader, in fact I still partake in the essence of what it means to cheer people on. What I loved most was the exercise / dance and being the smallest of the squad I got to go to the top of our pyramids.... I was the captain of my sophomore year. I think I was selected because I like to be goofy and have fun, gosh I think I should have brought more of that to TD...

I was the Homecoming Queen in 1976 @ Barrington High School in Illinois. [Editor's note: Our Scarlett was the Homecoming Queen at her high school in 1976 as well!] Woo, that was some time ago, my goodness it goes too fast.... It was such a special time then, very different from now. School was fun and social in a Back to the Future kind of way. Being the Bicentennial I got to light this gigantic bonfire to celebrate becoming the Queen and all the events that the entire town partook in, very pagan in a way.... there was a parade and I got to ride in a convertible Corvette, wave and give candy to children. During half-time myself and my court were all adorned with our tiaras..... Barrington was and still is an exceptionally privileged life style.

BTD: You obviously love your son very much. Please tell us about him.

EM: My son Elliott is a fabulous human. He has some sort of High Functioning Autism which has been so so very much work. I have been able to provide for him a village of supports. He is exceptionally gifted and extremely compassionate. He loves the computer and can recite all the words from the film, Pirates of the Caribbean. He has been playing piano since the age of 4, but prefers to like most 6 year olds watch cartoons. I pray for his well being and that he finds his way with confidence and loving.

BTD: Who, if any, of the other contestants would you like to collaborate with on a future project?

EM: I would love to collaborate with any of them except maybe one or two....

BTD: You and Goil really seemed to click together. Do you think he has what it takes to win Top Design?

EM: Goil absolutely has what it takes, but then again so did I.....

BTD: We loved your sand pit from Episode 1. What made you think of incorporating this into your room for the “mystery client”?

EM: We talked about a swing and a meditative place, I thought of children and zen gardens....If we had more time I would have made a pattern much like one of the objects.... 'The black velvet painting'

BTD: In the "Life’s a Beach" team challenge, the judges seemed to eliminate you based on color choice alone. Did you agree with the judge’s assessment of your work?

EM: I have no clue what was being activated in the Minds of people who in my world I have lost so much respect for. The answer is absolute NO. I was and now after watching I am really just laughing at the absurdity of it. I felt manipulated and misrepresented by the judges.

BTD: We have a question from one of our readers: she doesn’t like Jonathan’s catch phrase. Did hearing “See you later, decorator” feel as cold to you as it does to many of us watching?

EM: To me it does not feel cold, it feels really off. This is a design show, not a decorating show.... SO... How about "Your Bread ain't got no Spread"...

BTD: Looking back at the experience, is there anything you would have done differently?

EM: I would have sung in the shower, been more expressive of my goofy side, .... Episode 2 I would have stayed with my original designs and furnishings and color instead of letting my 9 year old client pick the colors. Then again I should have consulted him in Episode 3....

BTD: Not only are you an interior designer, but you also do jewelry and furniture. Tell us about your new company, FROOTE.

EM: After being on TOP DESIGN, I asked myself what do I really love to do? What do I love, what makes me feel good. I then decided to take my company and promote only my favorite things - things that I consider as Art, functional Art, wearable Art, things that to me make me feel good and could for anyone make them feel good.

My chairs are influenced by photographs I have taken and I love my grandma chair, it makes me laugh. I love the fact that I can sit in this chair and have my grandmother hold me. She is still alive and is approaching 92, now that is an age....

I became interested in stones at an international gem show and made a serious purchase of stones that I liked. For a year it became my box of treasure, then one day I started putting things together to wear, Froote Jewelry came to life.... Again it makes me feel good and people seem to feel good wearing my designs. I am going to be participating in an Oscar Red Carpet celeb event with Adwill and Sonya Dakar of Bev Hills. I am hoping that Drew Barrymore shows, as I would love to have her be wearing one of my pieces, she knows how to laugh! I love to laugh......

Thank you Elizabeth, we miss you already!

Click here to comment.