Saturday, March 17, 2007

Here's Heather! (cont.)


And if that’s not enough about me, I also bartended on and off (mostly on) for the better part of 10 years. It sucked. But it was also great. You, yes you, and me all enter unfamiliar social environments with the same goal. First to blend in, then after a few cocktails, to stand out. We also want to be able to see everyone, while feeling safe and hidden. Matt, Michael and Carisa’s layout was pretty close to perfect. The three seating areas not only forced guests to fill the back of the tent first, they more importantly created intimate environments. The mirrors made the space look bigger, but they gave the partiers a way to check out the prospects without getting caught. I never design a bar without mirrors. Be honest, most people in bars are looking to make connections. Mirrors are great for spotting your prey before committing to the kill.

The lighting is key. Team Love (Michael, Carisa and Matt) used indirect lighting by bouncing the light off the white tent. Oldest modeling trick in the book. Everyone looks great. Amber or pink filters make it better, but I’m going to assume that if paintbrushes were scarce, filters were a no go. The inner bitchery of Team Love was actually pretty real world for events too. The event producer I worked with is one of my closest friends, but if you saw us at 7:30 pm for a 9 pm event, you would be hiding the kitchen knives. The stress level is intense. Michael and Carisa’s bickering was annoying, but par for the course. And I loved that they were made to use fire rated materials. It makes life a lot harder off the rack. You can fire rate almost anything but it takes about a week. Which leads nicely into Team Rand (as in Ayn).

FIre-rated fabric is inherently ugly. It ‘s always polyester and always has some weird disco sheen. Like the drapery panels in Team Rand’s party palace. Not their fault. Blame the fire marshal (who was on set as his office is across the street from the PDC; I know him well). Just as Team Miami suffered for being the only team without an architect in the beach challenge, Team Rand suffered due to too many. Parties are all about décor and nothing about structure. If your design draws attention from the product, the client will complain, and the guests really could care less as long as there’s a gift bag. There are exceptions of course, but this challenge was not one of them. It killed me to see Andrea and Goil at odds. I know the physical stress the cast is under and it’s starting to undermine them. I would rather see well-rested people do good design, but the formula works for a reason, so what do I know.

I do know that none of them deserved to go home this time. The fact that Erik is very talented goes with out saying, but I think his true talent lies in his sense of humor. Erik is always upbeat, even when he’s complaining and his disposition puts others at ease. Out of everyone in the cast, I would choose to have Erik next to me on site when everything starts to head downhill (it always does). He doesn’t feed into the drama and his well timed bon mots make it impossible to take yourself seriously. Big kiss Erik!

I swear next week won’t be all about me…and if you believe that…

LA Top Design Moment: I have worked with Doc Holiday (the bouncer) at all the LA clubs I bartended. He is the sweetest teddy bear ever…just don’t think you can throw a punch his way. I have witnessed the pain. And here’s a question: How did two New Yorkers and one Mid-western boy find him???? I will ask him and report back.


Thanks, Heather. I think I'll take a double martini, please.

Click here to comment.